My first interview of 2015 is with the incomparable Dr. Ruth Heidrich.
She’s the winner of more than 900 trophies, 6 Ironman Triathlons, 8 Senior Olympics Gold Medals, and 67 marathons including Boston, New York, Moscow and The Great Wall of China.
She is a World Fitness Record holder at the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, and was named “One of the Ten Fittest Women in North America”.
She’s author of four books, co-hosts the “Healing & You” radio show, and she was featured in the documentary Forks Over Knives.
ALL of these accomplishments occurred AFTER she healed her stage 4 breast cancer in 1982 with a low-fat vegan diet (no chemo no radiation).
Oh and she’s 80.
And she’s outlived her oncologist by 30 years.
Incredible lady = Incredible interview.
Prepare to be inspired!
One thing I forgot to ask her in the interview was about supplementation.
B-12 is the only thing she took, then and now.
- How she met the “quack” doctor that saved her life with nutrition [10:12]
- Her daily diet then and now [16:10]
- When and why she became a raw vegan [17:45]
- How long it took before she noticed results from her diet change [20:25]
- Her first Iron Man triathalon [21:50]
- The inspiration for her first and subsequent books [27:00]
- Her raw oatmeal recipe [33:45]
- What her doctor thought about her intensive training regime [38:32]
- What doctors ought to be telling their patients [40:45]
- The environmental impact of increased animal consumption [41:29]
- What cancer cells need besides sugar [43:29]
- The reason why the medical industry doesn’t take nutrition seriously [44:15]
- The dietary cause of sexual dysfunction in men and women [51:00]
- Early warning signs and problems caused by cardiovascular disease [45:42]
- Why her oncologist didn’t tell other patients about her story [47:58]
- Normalcy bias and why people won’t make preventative changes to their diet [49:57]
Selected Links from the Interview
- A Race for Life
- Senior Fitness
- Lifelong Running
- Forks Over Knives
- Vegetarian Summerfest
- The Starch Solution
- The China Study
- Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
- The Empty Medicine Cabinet: The Hidden Danger of Drugs and the Healing Powers of Food
- Becoming Vegetarian
- Becoming Vegan
- Becoming Raw
- Dr. John McDougall
- Dr. Ken Carroll
- Dr. Michael Klaper
- Dr. Neal Barnard
- Dr. Michael Greger
- Dr. T. Colin Campbell
Please LIKE and Share. Add your thoughts below!
If you’ve found my work helpful, please consider donating. Thanks!