This recipe is from BEAT CANCER KITCHEN: Deliciously Simple Plant-Based Anticancer Recipes.
The Beta Burger aka The World’s Best Mushroom Oat Burger
Instead of store-bought veggie burgers, which are heavily processed with questionable additives and high levels of sodium, why not make your own?
Our savory Beta Burger patty is 100% plant-based and made from mushrooms and oats, two of the highest sources of beta glucans, a special type of immune-boosting fiber that is antimicrobial, anticancer, and even shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
I know what you’re thinking, a burger made from mushrooms and oats?
Trust me, it’s delicious.
This recipe can also be used to make meatballs for spaghetti.
Ingredients (organic is best)
-1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms*
-2 teaspoons sea salt
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-3 cups rolled or quick oats
-2 teaspoons black pepper
-2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-6 sprouted whole-grain hamburger buns or 6 large lettuce leaves
-Mustard, Lemony Almond Hummus (page 191 in Beat Cancer Kitchen), pickles, red onions, sliced tomato, lettuce, and avocado for garnish
1. Pulse the mushrooms in the work bowl of your food processor until they are finely chopped but not blended. Work in batches as needed.
2. Combine the chopped mushrooms and salt in a large mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes. You’ll notice that water is being pulled from the mushrooms; do not discard the water!
3. Add the vinegar, oats, and pepper. Using your hands, knead the mushrooms and oats together until well incorporated. The mix will seem a little dry at first.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Use this time to slice your pickles, onions, tomatoes, etc., and tidy up the kitchen.
5. Knead the mixture once more. This time, it should resemble ground beef – seriously!
6. Divide the mixture into 6 equal balls and press each ball into a 4-inch patty on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Make sure your patties have smooth, rounded edges. This makes them less likely to fall apart as they cook.
7. Place 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or frying pan set over medium heat. Pan-fry the burgers 3 at a time for about 4 minutes per side. Add the remaining oil before cooking the second batch.
8. Serve hot on a toasted whole-grain bun or over lettuce, topped with your favorite burger fixings. Mine are lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and lots of mustard.
*Anticancer Food Fact: Aromatase is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen in the body. Excess estrogen is harmful and can fuel cancer growth. White button mushrooms have been found to suppress aromatase by 60%, better than any other vegetable or mushrooms tested. In addition, eating one cup of cooked white button mushrooms per day has been shown to accelerate the salivary secretion of an immune system antibody called immunoglobulin A by 50%.
Share your pics of my book or this recipe on social media and tag me @chrisbeatcancer #beatcancerkitchen :)
BEAT CANCER KITCHEN is a beautiful full-color cookbook with plant-based (vegan friendly) recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus soups, salads, juices, and smoothies galore! There’s a section with potent anticancer recipes for healing and a section with recipes for healthy living and prevention.
There are anticancer nutrition factoids sprinkled throughout the book and most importantly, the recipes are all super delicious and super easy to make! :)
You can get BEAT CANCER KITCHEN from your favorite local bookstore (they need our support!) or get it from one of these online booksellers:
I've interviewed over 60 people who've healed all types and stages of cancer. Check them out here. Or use the search bar to find survivors of specific cancer types.
I also created a coaching program for cancer patients, caregivers and anyone who is serious about prevention called SQUARE ONE. It contains the step-by-step strategies used by myself and everyone I know who has healed cancer with nutrition and natural, non-toxic therapies.
(((c)))Chris Beat Cancer is reader-supported. If you purchase a product through a link on this site I may receive compensation from the affiliate partner (like Amazon). Your support helps fund this blog and my mission so my team and I can continue to do the work that we do. Thank you!