Detox Your Life

Mercury: Is This Toxic Heavy Metal In Your Mouth?


Mercury  is the only naturally liquid metal on the planet, and you’ve got to admit liquid metal is pretty awesome.  It’s also classified as a “heavy metal”.  Also awesome.

But despite all its awesomeness, Mercury is also a neurotoxin that has been linked to immune system suppression and a host of physical problems including brain damage, Autism, Alzheimers, ALS, MS, Cancer, and other chronic diseases.

“Scientific research has demonstrated that mercury, even in small amounts, can damage the brain, nervous system, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands, blood cells, enzymes and hormones. Mercury is also known to suppress the T-cells of immune system by as much as 100%.”  -Eastin Center for Modern Dentistry

Mercury is a naturally occurring element, and about half the mercury in our environment is produced by natural sources like volcanoes.  The other half comes from industrial pollution.  In other words, modern industry has doubled the amount of mercury present in the environment.

The majority of mercury pollution is spewed into the air by coal-fired power plants.  From there it finds its way into the soil, rivers, lakes, and the ocean.

When most of us think of mercury, we think about thermometers and that’s about it.  But mercury is all around us.

Thimerosal is a mercury compound used a preservative in vaccines.  Because of the controversy surrounding the toxic effects of thimerosal, it has been removed and/or reduced in childhood vaccines with the exception of the flu vaccine.  In recent years, there has been growing concern about the connection between childhood vaccines and autism, especially among parents of autistic children.

This is why our family doesn’t get flu shots, and we delayed our kids vaccinations.
We staggered them out over a much longer period of time to reduce the concentrated exposure of potential toxins.  We asked nicely and our doctor was fine with it.
Vaccines are a major profit center for the pharmaceutical industry and many of the diseases children are vaccinated for are not fatal to children, like chicken pox for example.
And there’s still a chance you could be exposed to a viral strain different than one you were vaccinated against.

Read my vaccination post here

Mercury in our food

Unfortunately a lot of fish and shellfish have high concentrations of mercury in their bodies, trapped in their fatty tissue.  They absorb it from contaminated water and food like this:
Little fish eats mercury contaminated algae.  Bigger fish eats little fish and absorbs the mercury from him, and so it goes until that fish ends up sitting in front of you on plate at the dinner table.  This is called biomagnification.  So the longer a fish lives, the more toxic mercury it absorbs.  And yes when you eat the big fish you absorb it all from him, almost 100% of it.
Biomagnification can also happens inside us. Every time you are exposed to mercury it accumulates in your tissues. Repeated exposure over time can lead to a toxic tipping point in your body. Your body’s ability to function properly decreases and health problems will begin.
The most contaminated fish are the predators at the top of the food chain: Albacore Tuna, Swordfish, Shark, King Mackerel, and Tilefish.  The high mercury levels in these fish have been linked to brain and nervous system damage in unborn babies and young children, which is why the FDA and EPA strongly advise that pregnant women abstain from eating those fish.

This is why I am very selective about the fish I eat.  I explain what kind of fish I eat in this post.

Other fun places you can find mercury:

-Mascara and skin care products, unless you live in Minnesota.  They banned it from cosmetics in 2008.

-Mercury vapor is in fluorescent light bulbs and neon signs.  If you break one inside, get away from it quick.  Then open all the windows and doors to air out your house.

My Mercury Exposure

When I was a kid, I stayed home sick from school one day.  I was playing with the dog in the living room with a thermometer in my mouth.  Somehow I stumbled and hit my chin on the coffee table biting the glass thermometer in half in my mouth.  As dumb as it sounds, this is not that uncommon.

When I was a junior in high school I thought it would be cool to “accidentally” break a huge thermometer on the lab table in chemistry class.  I poured some of the mercury into the palm of my hand and let it roll around for a few seconds.  I remember one of the other kids saying,  “I don’t think you’re supposed to touch that stuff”.  At which point I let it roll off my hand back onto the table.  Holding liquid metal in your hand is super weird because it’s really heavy. I’ll never forget that feeling.  Little did I know that mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive metal on the planet.  Unfortunately it did not give me any super powers, and it may have contributed to my suppressed immune system and the proliferation of cancerous cells in my body.

Perhaps if there had been youtube when I was a kid, I might have seen this 30 second PSA:

I also had flu shots as a young adult and ate massive amounts of albacore tuna.

Ok here comes my final blow, brace yourself:

If you have silver fillings in your mouth, they are 50% mercury.

This is the second biggest source of mercury exposure besides fish.  Mercury Amalgam fillings throw off toxic mercury vapor into your body every time you agitate your teeth.  This agitation process I’m referring to is chewing, brushing, eating acidic foods, and drinking hot liquids.
Several times a day, every day, these fillings are releasing mercury vapor into your mouth and you are breathing it in.  This is especially toxic as your body absorbs 80% of mercury vapor you breathe in. And it never stops, no matter how old the fillings are.

Much like fluoride, the American Dental Association’s official position is that mercury amalgams are safe and non-toxic.  This is absolutely false.  Mercury Amalgam has never been tested or approved for safety by the FDA.  And what’s really crazy is that the EPA and OSHA classify old mercury filings hazardous waste.  Even though they were “safe” enough to be in your mouth, they cannot be thrown away.  They have to follow strict disposal procedures to prevent further release of mercury vapor into the environment.

I’ve never had any mercury fillings in my mouth, but my wife Micah did.  We had her fillings removed and replaced with white resin fillings in 2004. For the record, her dentist at the time told her he thought it was “unnecessary”.

Watch this video.  The intro music makes me laugh, and the narration is a bit dry, but the demonstration is excellent.

Most dentists aren’t trained in safe mercury filling removal. You can find a dentist specializing in safe removal and replacement at www.iaomt.org.

One of nature’s most powerful heavy metal detoxifiers is a blue-green algae harvested in Japan called Chlorella.
We buy it in bulk and take it twice a day, every day.

Sun-Chlorella broken cell wall chlorella is the most trusted, highest quality brand I’ve found on the market.

Buy Sun Chlorella Here

Another supplement you might want to take is Integrative Therapeutics Mercury Detox.

Also check out this book:
Amalgam Illness, Diagnosis and Treatment : What You Can Do to Get Better, How Your Doctor Can Help by Andrew Hall Cutler, PhD PE


My new book Chris Beat Cancer: A Comprehensive Plan for Healing Naturally, published by Hay House, is a National Bestseller as ranked by USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and Publishers Weekly! Get it on Amazon here or anywhere books are sold.



I've interviewed over 60 people who've healed all types and stages of cancer. Check them out here. Or use the search bar to find survivors of specific cancer types.

I also created a coaching program for cancer patients, caregivers and anyone who is serious about prevention called SQUARE ONE. It contains the step-by-step strategies used by myself and everyone I know who has healed cancer with nutrition and natural, non-toxic therapies.

Watch SQUARE ONE Module 1 for free here

(((c)))

Comment rules: The comments section is a place to share your thoughts, ask questions, and connect with other people in this community. If you are here to attack and argue, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

Hi! I’m Chris!

I was diagnosed with stage IIIc colon cancer in 2003. After surgery I opted-out of chemo and used nutrition and natural therapies to heal. Today I’m healthy, strong, and cancer-free! If you’d like to learn how help yourself heal and prevent cancer, you’ve come to the right place!

National Bestseller!